Saturday, January 26, 2013

Recognizing Talent

My 2013 new year's resolution is to learn how to play the ukulele.  My sister's renewed interest in her music inspired me to take this on.  I chose the uke because it's small, which works well with my hands. I wasn't blessed with piano fingers.   They also have plastic strings which are not as painful on the fingers as metal strings.  Not to mention, I love how they sound.  My long term goal is to play like Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole - on a beach in Hawaii.

Tonight, I've been practicing for a couple of hours by watching videos on youtube.   I was struck by the title of one of the recommended videos that popped up on the right hand side of my screen. It's called "Homeless Boy Steals Talent Show".  I clicked on it, thinking it had something to do with a kid playing a ukulele, but it doesn't.  It's about a young man that enters the Korea's Got Talent competition, and blows them all away.  As of today, it had nearly 77 million views.

His story is very sad in that he was unwanted by his parents, and dropped off at an orphanage when he was only 3 years old.  At the age of 5, he ran away because he was abused.  He lived on the streets alone from age 5 to 15.  He sold stuff on the streets.  I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this kid's life has been.  Regardless, he chose to enter the competition and pursue his dreams.  His voice is truly extraordinary.

On our cruise last week, one of the servers on the Lido deck restaurant told me a similar story about his own childhood.  The server is from Indonesia and his name is Ipau.  His parents didn't want him, so he was raised by his reluctant grandmother.  He told me about how he had practically raised himself, and no one cared about what he was up to. He got into drugs, and was a "really bad boy".  He said all he ever wanted, and still wants, is hugs from his family.

Somewhere along the way, Ipau found God, and completely turned his life around.  Today, he said that when he gets to go home to Indonesia during his short time off, everyone is eager to see him because they know he's bringing money with him.  Their main motivation to hug him is the hope to get some money out of him.

I was  humbled by the fact that this server had been so open and vulnerable with me.  He had shared so much with me, and had just met me.  We clicked.  He was at our beck and call the entire cruise.  He told me that he enjoys his job because he gets to serve happy families on vacation. He chooses to provide excellent service because he wants to make a positive impact on his guests' experience.  He knows he's serving God by serving others.  I watched him work, and observed with sadness while other guests barely acknowledged his presence.  Many didn't even take the time to look him in the eye.

Do you recognize those that stand-out and provide excellent service?  Do you provide excellent service to others?  How do you treat the people who serve you?  All people want to be seen as human beings - not just objects that are there to fulfill our needs. Next time you go to a restaurant or drive through, take the time to acknowledge the individual taking your order.  Ask for their name, and thank them for their service.  It just might make their day...and yours.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." - 1 Peter 4:10


No comments:

Post a Comment