Sunday, November 25, 2012

Daring Greatly

I've wanted to start a blog for some time now, and just finished reading Daring Greatly by Brené Brown, so what better time to give it a go.  The book is focused on "how the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, parent and lead".  I'm a very open person, and put myself in situations that many people find highly uncomfortable.  I actually find comfort in the uncomfortable.



Anything that makes me freak out a little (sweaty palms, racing heart, butterflies in my stomach) gets me really fired up and makes me feel alive.  I try to achieve this feeling at least once a day!

I just got back from visiting my gorgeous and incredibly talented sister in Tarpon Springs, FL.  In my mind, she's an artistic genius.  She paints, draws, sculpts, plays instruments by ear, sings like Adele, and is a wonderful mother to two beautiful toddler girls.  She went through a period where she sort of lost herself.  I know many women who have done this after having children.  The good news is - she's back, with a vengeance!  And I couldn't be prouder.

She's a graphic designer by training, but she's been a stay-at-home mom for nearly 4 years.  Just recently, she took a part time job working in her field.  Not because she needs the money, but because she wants to keep growing and learning in her craft.  She also started a photography and face painting business.  And she has started writing songs and playing the guitar/piano again.  It's quite inspirational, and it got me thinking about my own talents and abilities.  How am I blessing the world with the gifts God has given me?

While I wasn't blessed with the art gene, I was blessed with the gift of courage, speaking the truth,  and authenticity.  Reading Daring Greatly further validated the fact that I'm all in when it comes to living my life.  To quote Kung Fu Panda, "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present"I will write stories about my life with the goal to inspire, encourage, and spread the love that's in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment