Friday, December 28, 2012

In loving memory


Foxy Lady
April 2000 - December 2012
A six year old once said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice.  Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

I said goodbye to my precious angel Foxy Lady today.  She would have been 13 in April.  My husband Michael gave her to me for my 21st birthday in July of 2000.  She was the size of the palm of my hand, and I was scared to death of having to take care of this tiny little creature.  We went everywhere looking for the perfect teacup Pomeranian.  The second we set eyes on Foxy, we knew she was the one.


She had such a bubbly, joyful and peaceful spirit.  She loved showing off, doing her "happy dance" and being told she was a good and pretty girl.  All she wanted to do was be held and loved.  When she was a puppy, she loved to scoot around at record speed with her butt touching the floor.  We were blessed to spend many years with her, and we enjoyed her so much.

When our son was born, she went through a little depression because for the first time in her life, she was not the center of attention.  Up until his birth, she had slept with us.  I remember her little white grinch feet smelled like Doritos.  In the last couple of years, she got slower and slept more, but was always in very good health.

This morning, my son called me to the dining room and showed me that Foxy was actually letting him pet her - a highly unusual activity.    I started praising her for being such a good girl, when I realized that she was non-coherent.  I took her to the vet as fast as I could, and she got better before she got worse.  We finally decided it was time to stop the suffering and had her put to sleep around 4:45pm.  We were all there when it happened, and were fortunate enough to have the chance to pray with her and love on her one last time.

I'm very thankful for the time we had together, and for having witnessed the perfect example of unconditional love.  Thank you Foxy.  I love you very much and I'll never forget you.


Author Unknown
 

If a dog were your teacher
These are some of the lessons you might learn...

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face
to be pure ecstasy

When it's in your best interest
practice obedience
Let others know when they've invaded your territory
Take naps and stretch before rising
Run romp and play daily

Thrive on attention and let people touch you
Avoid biting, when a simple growl will do
On warm days stop to lie on your back on the grass
On hot days drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree
When you're happy dance around and wag your entire body

No matter how often you're scolded
don't buy into the guilt thing and pout
run right back and make friends

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm
Stop when you have had enough
Be loyal
Never pretend to be something you're not

If what you want lies buried
dig until you find it
When someone is having a bad day
be silent .....
...sit close by
...and nuzzle them gently.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute! I'm happy to have known her and her happy dance. Crying as I type this...she is in heaven now and has hopefully found Nikita and Chubbles and Marietta and Kalli, and they're all doing a happy dance together. Love to you guys; treasure the memories and the happiness you gave her, and her you.
    ~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete